Since Andrea's death we have created various eating disorder educational presentations and outreach efforts (locally, nationwide and internationally), have appeared in popular media (TV, radio, film), authored numerous published articles, books. blogs, and this web site, all with the intent to educate and inform others on the need for research, prevention, early recognition, immediate intervention and the skilled treatment of eating disorders.
Getting to Know Andrea
Andrea Lynn Smeltzer was trained in opera, enjoyed the theater, was an avid dancer, a masterful jewelry-maker and poet. After studying in Spain for a year as an Exchange Student at 14, she spoke Spanish fluently. At the time of her death she was proficient in German and planned on mastering Japanese next.
Prior to college, Andrea was elected president of her high school’s Amnesty International group and was an outspoken advocate for human rights. She was the representative chosen to present the student petitions to the Guatemalan consulate in San Francisco. At Pitzer College she was awarded the prestigious Fletcher Jones Scholarship, worked as a dorm hall Resident Assistant and Mentor, dual majored in Languages and International Business & Politics—and looked forward to saving the world. She died tragically, at the age of 19, after only one year of bulimic behaviors.
Where To Get Help
DISCLAIMER: Andrea's Voice Foundation does not endorse or recommend any of the following.
SOURCES FOR TREATMENT AND/OR SUPPORT:
- Avalon Hills Eating Disorder Specialists
- Eating Disorders Recovery Support, Inc. (California residents only)
- Kristen Haglund Foundation
- Manna Scholarship Fund
- MentorConnect (Mentoring support only)
- Moonshadow's Spirit
- Project HEAL
- Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (Canada) Studying the efficacy of their online "Maudsley-Inspired" educational tool for parents/caregivers of ED sufferers aged 9-18
- Columbia Center for Eating Disorders
- Johns Hopkins Medical Institution
- Stanford University School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry
- The University of Chicago
- The University of Minnesota Eating Disorders Research Program
- Weill Cornell Medical College
For help to get insurance to pay for treatment click here and go to "Practice Areas" tab & select Eating Disorders